Edison's Black Maria
In 1893, the world's first film production studio, the Black Maria, or the Kinetographic Theater, was completed on the grounds of Edison's laboratories at West Orange, New Jersey, for the purpose of making film strips for the Kinetoscope. Construction began in December 1892 and was completed the following year at a cost of $637.67. In early May 1893 at the Brooklyn Institute of Arts and Sciences, Edison conducted the world's first public demonstration of films shot using the Kinetograph in the Black Maria, with a Kinetoscope viewer. The exhibited film showed three people pretending to be blacksmiths.
The Electric Theatre: first motion picture theater
On April 2, 1902, the first motion picture theater announced its entrance into the world. The Electric Theatre, 262 South Main Street, Los Angeles, told the citizens of that city, which later was to become the motion picture capital of the world, that for the price of ten cents it would be glad to provide an hour's amusement in "a vaudeville of moving pictures" including "Capture of the Biddle Brothers" and "New York in a Blizzard." Business was so good on the opening night that matinées started the next day. In less than twenty-five years, there were to be more than 20,000 motion picture theatres in this country.
Posted 2345 day(s) ago